Question 1 What is meant by food preservation?
Question 2 Name methods of preserving food?
Preservation of Food
The food material like milk, fruits, vegetables, meat, fish and cooked food get spoiled easily. This is because they contain a lot of water due to which the food-spoiling micro-organism can grow in them easily.
The process in which the food materials are given a suitable physical or chemical treatment to prevent their spoilage is called food preservation.
Methods of Preserving Food
(1) Sun-drying or dehydration
(4) Deep freezing
(5) Addition of common salt
(6) Addition of sugar
(7) Addition of mustard oil and vinegar
(8) Use of special chemical preservatives
(10) Packing food in air-tight packets
Other Notes from Chapter 2 Micro Organisms Friend and Foe
- Groups of Micro Organism
- Where do Micro Organism Live
- Useful Micro organism
- Making of Curd and Bread
- Commercial Use of Micro organism
- Medicinal Use of Micro oragnaism
- Increasing Soil Fertility
- Cleaning the Environment
- Harmful Micro Organism
- Carriers of Disease causing micro organism
- Disease Causing Micro organisms in Animals
- Disease Causing Micro-Organism in Plants
- Food poisoning
- Preservation by sun-drying, Heating, Cooling
- Preservation by Deep Freezing,Common Salt, Sugar
- Preservation of food by mustard oil and Vinegar, Chemicals, Pasteurisation, Air-tight Packets
- Nitrogen Fixation
- Nitrogen Cycle