Question 1 Which micro-organism is used for the large scale production of alcohol?
Question 2 Define the term fermentation?
Question 3 Name the scientist who discovered fermentation?
Question 4 Describe how sugar is converted into alcohol?
Question 5 What is vinegar?
Commercial Use of Micro-Organism
They are used for the large scale production of alcohol and acetic acid (vinegar)
1) Yeast is the micro-organism which is used for large production of alcohol. This alcohol is then used in making of wine, beer, whisky as well as industrial spirit.
2) Yeast is capable of converting sugar into alcohol. The sugar for making alcohol comes from substances such as cane juice and fruit juice, or from substances such as maize, barley, rice etc.
The process of conversion of sugar into alcohol by action of yeast is called fermentation.
Fermentation was discovered by Louis Pasteur in 1857.
A dilute solution of acetic acid is called vinegar. Bacteria can turn alcohol into acetic acid.
First alcohol is made by using yeast. The acetobacter bacteria are added to alcohol and air is bubbled through it. In the presence of oxygen, bacteria converts alcohol into acetic acid.
Other Notes from Chapter 2 Micro Organisms Friend and Foe
- Groups of Micro Organism
- Where do Micro Organism Live
- Useful Micro organism
- Making of Curd and Bread
- Medicinal Use of Micro oragnaism
- Increasing Soil Fertility
- Cleaning the Environment
- Harmful Micro Organism
- Carriers of Disease causing micro organism
- Disease Causing Micro organisms in Animals
- Disease Causing Micro-Organism in Plants
- Food poisoning
- Preservation of Food
- Preservation by sun-drying, Heating, Cooling
- Preservation by Deep Freezing,Common Salt, Sugar
- Preservation of food by mustard oil and Vinegar, Chemicals, Pasteurisation, Air-tight Packets
- Nitrogen Fixation
- Nitrogen Cycle