Question 1 What is sowing?
Question 2 How sowing of crops is done by hands?
Question 3 How sowing of crops is done by seed drill?
Question 4 What are the disadvantages of sowing of crops by hands?
Question 5 What are the advantages of sowing of crops by seed drill?
Question 6 What precaution should be taken while sowing seeds?
Definition of Sowing
The process of scattering seeds in the ground soil for growing the crop plants is called sowing. Before sowing good quality seeds are selected.
Methods of sowing seeds
There are two methods of sowing the seeds in the soil.These are:
1) Sowing by hand
2) Sowing with a seed drill
Sowing by hand
The seeds are taken in hand and gradually scattered in the entire ploughed field.
1) There is no proper spacing or proper depth at which seed are sown.
2) The seeds scattered on the surface of the soil for sowing can be picked up and eaten by the birds.
Sowing with a seed drill
A seed drill is a long iron tube having a funnel at the top.The seed drill is tied to back of the plough and seeds are put into the funnel of the seed drill.As the plough makes furrows in the soil,the seed from seed drill are gradually released and sown into the soil.
Advantages of Sowing with a dril
1) The seeds are sown at the correct depth and correct interval.
2) The seeds get covered by soil. Due to this these seeds cannot be picked up and eaten by the birds.
3) The seeds sown with a seed drill are in regular rows.
4) It saves time and labour.
Precautions for sowing seeds
1) The seeds should be sown at right depth in the soil.
2) The seeds should be sown at right interval or spacing.
3) The seeds should not be sown in a dry soil.
4) The seeds should not be sown in a highly wet soil.