Question 1 Which synthetic fibre contains the organic group similar to those which give fruits their sweet smell?
Question 2 To which kind of synthetic fibres does terylene belong?
Question 3 What is polyester?
Question 4 Name a popular polyester?
Question 5 What are esters?
Question 6 Polyester is a thermoplastic polymer. Discuss?
Question 7 What is a polycot?
Question 8 What is a polywool?
Question 9 Name few properties of polyester fibre?
Question 10 Name few uses of polyester fibre?
Question 11 Why synthetic fibres have become very popular these days?
It contains many ester groups.Polyester is made up of repeating units of a chemical called an ester.
Esters are the organic chemical substances which give fruits their sweet smell.
Terylene is a popular polyester fibre.The chemical compounds used in making polyester fibres are made from petroleum products called petrochemicals.
Polyester is also a thermoplastic polymer.When the molten polyester is forced through holes of a spinneret,then thin polyester fibres are formed.the polyester yarn can ne woven to make fabrics.
Properties of Polyester
1) They are stronger than nylon fibres.
2) They are softer than nylon fibres.
3) They are strong,wrinkle resistant,easy to wash and dry,not attacked by moths,has high abrasion resistance,suitable for making dress material.
Natural fibres are mixed with polyester to make blended fabrics.
1) Polycot is a mixture of polyester and cotton.
2) Polywool is a mixture of polyester and wool.
Uses of Polyester
1) It is used in making fabrics for sarees,dress material and curtains.
2) It is mixed with cotton for making shirts,trousers and other dresses.
3) It is mixed with wool for making suits.
4) It is used for making sails of sail-boat.
5) It is used for making water hoes for fire-fighting operations.
6) It is used for making conveyer belts.
Synthetic fibres have become very popular because
1) They are strong and elastic.
2) Have low water absorption
3) They are light weight,long lasting and extremely fine.
4) They are wrinkle resistant,chemically unreactive,not attacked by moths.