Boron, the first member of group 13 elements, shows anomalous behaviour and differ from rest of the members of its family. The main reason for this difference are :
1) exceptionally small atomic and ionic size.
2) high ionization enthalpy.
3)absence of d orbital in its valence shell.
Important properties in which boron differ from the rest of the members of its group are as follow:
1)Boron being small is harder than the other elements of its group.
2)It has higher melting and boiling point than those of the other members of its group.
3) Boron forms only covalent compounds while all other members form both ionic and covalent compounds.
4)The oxides of boron and its hydroxides are weakly acidic and dissolves in alkalis forming metaborates. The oxides and hydroxides of Al and Ga are amphoteric while those of In and Tl are basic.
B2O3 + 2 NaOH ——> 2 NaBO2 + H2O
B(OH)3 + NaOH ——> 2 NaBO2 + H2O
Al(OH)3 + NaOH ——> 2 NaAlO2 + 2 H2O
Al(OH)3 + 3HCl ——> AlCl3 + 3 H2O
5) The trihalides of group 13 being covalent are hydrolysed by water. Whereas boron trihalides ,due to the absence of d-orbitals ,form tetrahedral species [B(OH)4]‾ , trihalides of aluminium and other elements ,due to the presence of d orbitals, form octahedral [Al(H2O)6]‾ species.
6) The trihalides of boron are monomeric. The reason being that due to its small size, it cannot accommodate 4 large sized halogens atoms around it. The monomeric trihalide being electron deficient, are strong Lewis acid and thus form complexes with ammonia ,alcohol ,ether.
The trihalides of aluminium and other elements of group 13 have halogen bridged dimeric structure in which the metal completes its obtained by accepting an electron pair from in halogen atom of the other molecules.
It is really very helpful for us
It’s really helpful
Kajal pall says
It is very good
Bhavesh Gurjar says
It is helpful for all students
Bharti Vishwakarma says
It is very helpful for an 11th class student to study chemistry
Aminu Mukhtar says
I am really thank to u.
I don’t know how could I describe my appreciation to you
thank you a lot
Tnq…… this was damn helpful for my seminar preparation.. and i think i should really listen while teaching in class!!!!!!!!
Sneha joshi says
It’s really helpful for me it is very easy to understand Thnku very much.
Thank you mam it was very helpful
Umar Muhammad says
Thanks for the helping the student like me
Komal sharma says
Its really very good…keep it up.
rahul CH says
vry helpful thanks…….
Payal Rath says
Nice Notes…. THANKU SO MUCH….
Rishu Singh says
Thank you mam
I really love you mam ..
Thanks again mam
It’s very helpful