Diagonal Relationship of Lithium with Magnesium
The main points of similarity :
(1) Both have almost similar electronegativities.
(2) Both Li and Mg are quite hard. They are harder and lighter than other elements in their respective groups.
(3) Both LiOH and Mg(OH)2 are weak bases.
(4) Both form ionic nitrides when heated in atmosphere of Nitrogen.
6 Li + N2 → 2 Li3N
3 Mg + N2 → 2 Mg3N2
(5) The hydroxides of both lithium and magnesium decompose upon heating.
2 LiOH → Li2O + H2O
Mg(OH)2 → MgO + H2O
(6) Both lithium and magnesium combine with oxygen to form monooxide while other members of their respective groups form peroxide and superoxide.
4 Li + O2 → 2 Li2O
2 Mg + O2 → 2 MgO
The Li2O and MgO thus formed do not combine with excess O2 to form peroxide and superoxide.
(7) The carbonates of these metals decompose on heating to the corresponding oxides with the evolution of carbon dioxide.
Li2CO3 → Li2O + CO2
MgCO3 → MgO + CO2
(8) Both Lithium and magnesium do not form solid bicarbonates.
(9) Both Lithium and magnesium nitrate decompose on heating producing nitrogen dioxide.
4 LiNO3 → 2 Li2O + 4 NO2 + O2
2 Mg(NO3)2 → MgO + 4 NO2 + O2
(10) The hydroxides, carbonate, oxalates, phosphates and fluorides of both Lithium and magnesium are sparingly soluble in water.
(11) Because of the covalent character, LiCl and MgCl2 are soluble in ethanol.
(12) Both Lithium perchlorate and magnesium perchlorate are highly soluble in ethanol.
(13) LiCl and MgCl2 are deliquescent and crystallise from aqueous solution as hydrate LiCl·2 H2O and MgCl2 ·6 H2O.
Varsha Vaswani says
Very useful information.
Very useful information thx
Its usefull very thnx
abubakar umer says
thank you for this beneficial piece of information.
Hafiz Moazzam Ali says
Thank you very much for useful information to convey to use in easy words
Bilikisu TIjjani says
Thank you I really appreciate this information because it straight forward for the topic Commercial use of micro-organism
Nzugua Loyola says
Splendid notes on Diagonal Relationship Of Lithium And Magnesium
good class notes on Diagonal Relationship Of Lithium And Magnesium
Thank you for your help
magezi joshua says
thank youu soo much.
Shantipriya Doloi says
twas vry helpful
Anjali vashist says
Very much useful
zarshal khan says
very easy notes
Bernsah Clifort says
Thanks so much
thankyou ma’am for this this answer
Ikechukwu Ezenwa says
Thank you so very much for the detailed and comprehensive note you gave in this piece of work especially the diagonal relationship between Li and Mg
Very useful to my study
VV thanks mam..
Hemalatha T K says
it was really very useful . thank u for this information
Newton maloba says
Thanks for creating the website. Very useful chemistry notes and ideas.
Oluka Chukwuebuka Stephen says
Thank you very much mam
Venosa Raphael says
Thank for your answer