The Duck and Kangaroo Class 9 English, Beehive Poem
Detailed summary and explanation of “The Duck and Kangaroo” Poem along with meanings for difficult words is provided here. Also, NCERT Question and Answers are also provided to help students understand this Poem and do well in their exams.
The poem is a funny and an interesting tale about the friendship of a Duck and a Kangaroo. A duck, bored of her life in the pond, requests her friend, a Kangaroo to let her ride his back so that she could also see the world. The Kangaroo initially seems reluctant (hesitant). But the polite requests of the duck make the kangaroo agree to the Duck’s request. The poem tells us that with polite Words, Cooperation and generosity anyone can lead a happy life.
In these lines, the poet describes a conversation between the Duck and the Kangaroo. The Duck is praising the Kangaroo. She expresses her wonder at how the Kangaroo jumps over fields and water bodies. She says that his jumps appear to be never ending. In comparison to the Kangaroo’s life, her life is dull and boring in the dirty pond. The Duck expresses her wish to go in the world outside the pond and to jump like the Kangaroo.
In these lines, the Duck requests the Kangaroo to give her a ride on his back. She says that she would stay quiet during the whole day and say nothing but Quack. Together they would travel to many imaginary places like Dee and Jelly Bo Lee and over the land and over the sea. She requests the Kangaroo to agree to give her a ride.
In these lines, the Kangaroo replies to the Duck. The Kangaroo tells her that he needs to think about the Duck’s request. He thinks that the Duck’s request might bring some good luck to him. But there is one objection to Duck’s request. The Kangaroo would tell her the objection if she let him speak boldly. He tells her that the Ducks feet are wet and cold which could possibly make him sick or ill due to cold.
In these lines, the Duck tells the Kangaroo that she had also thought about this problem while sitting on the rock. So, to solve it, she bought four pairs of warm socks that fit her web-like feet. She had also bought a warm coat to keep herself warm and would smoke a cigar everyday. The Duck had done all this so that the Kangaroo remains comfortable while she rides on her true friend, the Kangaroo’s back and travel the world.
In these lines, the Kangaroo is satisfied with the Duck’s request and preparation. The Kangaroo agrees to the Duck’s request and tells that they would start the journey at midnight when the moon is shining. He asks her to sit firmly and steadily to balance and sit on the end of his tail. Then, both friends started on their journey with jumping. They travelled the whole world three times. Now, no one could be as happy as the Duck and the Kangaroo.
(1) How did the duck express her wish to the Kangaroo?
(2) Where did the Duck live? What was his conditions there?
(3) What request did the duck make to the Kangaroo? why was so it?
(4) How did the Duck try to convince the Kangaroo?
(5) How did the Kangaroo react to the duck’s proposal for ride?
(6) What objection did the Kangaroo put before the Duck?
(7) What preparation did the duck make for the ride on the Kangaroo’s back?
(8) What instructions did the Kangaroo give the Duck before starting the journey?
(9) How does the duck speak to the Kangaroo?
(10) What is the duck’s desire?
(11) How does the duck look at the Kangaroo’s jumping?
(12) What shall the duck do whole day?
(13) Why did the duck buy socks?
(14) What for did she buy a cloak?
(15) How did the Kangaroo ride the duck in the end?
(16) How did the poet added humour in the poem?
(17) Do you think that Duck and Kangaroo are best friends? What are the qualities which the best friend are supposed to have?
|a way to address someone with respect
|a long jump
|dirty, filthy and small
|to wish or to desire
|Dee, Jelly Bo Lee
|sneezing and cold condition of body due to wetness
|socks that give heat when worn upon
|a kind of coat worn in winters.
|a night with excellent moon light
|with a hop and a bound
|a movement that contains halt and go