A slumber did my spirit seal Class 9 English, Beehive Poem
Detailed summary and explanation of “A slumber did my spirit seal” Poem along with meanings for difficult words is provided here. Also, NCERT Question and Answers are also provided to help students understand this Poem and do well in their exams.
In this poem, the poet has expressed his grief over the death of his loved one. The poet is deeply grieved and troubled over this. He says that the death has affected his soul deeply. His beloved who is dead now has become a part of nature. She can not sense anything and has not fears. She is now above the worldly affairs and is now resting peacefully within the Earth.
The touch of earthly years.
In this stanza, the poet expresses his grief over the death of a loved one. He says that he is so shocked with the death that he feels that his soul has gone into sleep. He has become numb and now does not have any human fears like loss, death etc. After her death, his loved one seems to him like a thing who cannot feel anything that is present in this Earth. She is not affected by the physical existence of humans including human fears and time. She has peacefully left the human world behind.
With rocks and stones and trees.
The poet says that as the beloved is dead, she cannot move or has any force left in her body. She cannot hear or see anything. She is buried inside Earth and now is a part of nature. She is rotating along with the Earth as it rotates around the Sun everyday. She is now a part of the tree, rocks and stones that also move along with the Earth. She has become a part of nature itself and is immortal and unforgettable for the poet.
(1) What actually is a slumber here? Why did the poet do so?
(2) What happened to the poet when he heard about the death of his loved one? How did she look?
(3) How will time not affect the poet’s beloved?
(4) How has the poet’s beloved become an integral part of nature?
(5) How does the poet pay his warm tribute to his loved one?
(6) Describe how the poet’s soul get sealed with slumber ?How does he describe it?
(7) Death is inevitable. Everyone has to die one day. People show different kinds of attitude towards death. But, in poem, the poet has a completely different attitude.
(8) In what context rocks , stones and trees have been used in the poem?
(9) Explain ‘Earth diurnal course’?
(10) What effect did the slumber have upon the poet?
(11) What effect did the slumber have upon the poet?
|slumber||deep sleep or death|
|diurnal course||daily activity of something as that of earth’s day & night|
|rolled round||rotating around with|