Question 1 Give few properties of covalent compounds?
Properties of Covalent Compounds
1) Covalent compounds exist as single molecules which are mostly in gaseous state(hydrogen, oxygen, ammonia).Some of them may be liquid(bromine) and few as solids(iodine, phosphorus)
2) Covalent compounds have usually low melting and boiling point. Since no ions are present in the covalent molecules.
3) Covalent compounds are poor conductors of electricity because the current is carried by the movement of ions.
4) Covalent compounds generally react in molecular form.
5) Covalent compounds are not soluble in water. They dissolve in covalent solvent like carbon tetrachloride, benzene etc.