Question 2 Write the chemical name and formula of bleaching powder?
Question 3 How is bleaching powder prepared.Give the chemical equation?
Question 4 State uses of bleaching powder?
Question 5 List few properties of bleaching powder?
Preparation of Bleaching Powder
Properties of Bleaching Powder
(1) It is a white powder which gives strong smell of chlorine.
(2) It is soluble in cold water.
(3) It reacts with dilute acids to produce chlorine. When bleaching powder is treated with an excess of a dilute, all the chlorine present in it is liberated. For example, when bleaching powder is treated with an excess of dilute sulphuric acid, all the chlorine present in it liberated.
(5) Here, the chlorine produced by the action of dilute acid on bleaching powder acts as a bleaching agent. Thus, the real bleaching agent present in bleaching powder is chlorine.
Uses of Bleaching Powder
(1) It is used for bleaching cotton and linen in textile industry.
(2) It is used for bleaching wood pulp in paper industry.
(3) It is used for disinfecting drinking water supply.
(4) It is used in the manufacture of chloroform.
(5) It is used to make wool unshrinkable.
(6) It is used as an oxidising agent in many chemical industries.