Question 1 Write the chemical name and formula of baking soda?
Question 2 Give uses of baking soda?
Question 3 Describe how baking soda is produced on a large scale?
Question 4 Name the gas evolved when baking soda is heated?
Question 5 What is baking powder?
Question 6 Give few properties of baking powder?
The chemical name of baking soda is sodium hydrogen carbonate.
Preparation of Baking Soda
It is prepared by reaction of cold and concentrated solution of sodium chloride with ammonia and carbon dioxide.
Properties of Baking Soda
(1) It is a white crystal which are sparingly soluble in water.
(2) It is a mild,non-corrosive base.
(3) When sodium hydrogen carbonate is heated,then it decomposes to give sodium carbonate with evolution of carbon dioxide gas.
Uses of Baking Soda
(1) It is used as an antacid in medicine to remove acidity of the stomach.
(2) It is used in making baking powder.
Baking powder is a mixture of baking soda and a mild edible tartaric acid.
When baking soda mixes with water,then sodium hydrogen carbonate reacts with tartaric acid to evolve carbon dioxide gas.
(3) It is used in fire extinguishers.