A Truly Beautiful Mind | Question and Answer |
NCERT | Class 9 | Beehive Text Book
Thinking about the Text
Question 1 Here are Some Headings for Paragraphs in the Text. Write the Number(s) of the Paragraph(s) for Each Title Against the Heading. The First One is Done for You.
1. Einstein’s Equation : 9
2. Einstein Meets his Future Wife : 7
3. The Making of a Violinist : 3
4. Mileva and Einstein’s Mother : 10
5. A letter that Launched the Arms Races: 15
6. A Desk Drawer Full of Ideas: 8
7. Marriage and Divorce: 11
Question 2 Who had these opinions about Einstein?
(i) He was boring.
(i) Einstein playmates
(ii) He was stupid and would never succeed in life.
(ii) Einstein’s headmaster thought that he was stupid and would never succeed in life.
(iii) He was a freak.
(iii) Einstein’s mother that he was a freak.
Question 3 Explain what the reasons for the following are.
(i) Einstein leaving the school in Munich for good.
(i) Einstein left the school in Munich because he did not like the discipline of the school. He hated the school’s regimentation and therefore he left it for the good.
(ii) Einstein wanting to study in Switzerland rather than in Munich.
(ii)Switzerland was a more liberal city that’s why he wanted to study there rather than in Munich.
(iii) Einstein seeing in Mileva an ally.
(iii) Einstein found in Mileva an ally because she had a similar thinking to him and disapproved of the “Philistines” or the people who did not like art, literature or music.
(iv) What do these tell you about Einstein?
(iv) These tells that us that he was a liberal and cultured person ,who loved freedom more than anything.
Question 4 What did Einstein call his desk drawer at the patent office? Why?
Answer Einstein called his desk drawer at the patent office, the “bureau of theoretical physics” . This was because he used to store his secretly developed ideas in the drawers located there.
Question 5 Why did Einstein write a letter to Franklin Roosevelt?
Answer Einstein wrote a letter to Franklin Roosevelt to give a warning about the destruction power of bomb and its diverse effects.
Question 6 How did Einstein react to the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki?
Answer Einstein was deeply hurt by the news of disaster in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. He also wrote a public letter to the United. He wanted a world government to be formed to stop the production of nuclear weapons.
Question 7 Why does the world remember Einstein as a “world citizen”?
Answer The world remember Einstein as a “world citizen” because of his contributions and efforts towards creating world peace and democracy , for his campaign against the use of arms.
Question 8 Here are some facts from Einstein’s life. Arrange them in chronological order.
[ ] Einstein publishes his special theory of relativity.
[ ] He is awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics.
[ ] Einstein writes a letter to U.S. President, Franklin D. Roosevelt, and warns against Germany’s building of an atomic bomb.
[ ] Einstein attends a high school in Munich.
[ ] Einstein’s family moves to Milan.
[ ] Einstein is born in the German city of Ulm.
[ ] Einstein joins a university in Zurich, where he meets Mileva.
[ ] Einstein dies.
[ ] He provides a new interpretation of gravity.
[ ] Tired of the school’s regimentation, Einstein withdraws from school.
[ ] He works in a patent office as a technical expert.
[ ] When Hitler comes to power, Einstein leaves Germany for the United States.
(1) Einstein is born in the German city of Ulm.
(2) Einstein attends a high school in Munich.
(3) Einstein’s family moves to Milan.
(4) Tired of the school’s regimentation, Einstein withdraws from school.
(5) Einstein joins a university in Zurich, where he meets Mileva.
(6) He works in a patent office as a technical expert.
(7) Einstein publishes his special theory of relativity.
(8) He provides a new interpretation of gravity.
(9) He is awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics.
(10) When Hitler comes to power, Einstein leaves Germany for the United States.
(11) Einstein writes a letter to U.S. President, Franklin D. Roosevelt, and warns against Germany building an atomic bomb.
(12) Einstein dies.
Thinking about Language
Here are some sentences from the story.
Choose the word from the brackets which can be substituted for the italicised words in the sentences.
(1) A few years later, the marriage faltered, (failed, broke, became weak)
Answer Became weak.
(2) Einstein was constantly at odds with people at the university, (on bad terms, in disagreement, unhappy)
Answer in disagreement
(3) The newspapers proclaimed his work as “a scientific revolution”, (declared, praised, showed)
(4) Einstein got ever more involved in politics, agitating for an end to the arms build up. (campaigning, fighting, supporting)
(5) At the age of 15, Einstein felt so stifled that he left the school for good. (permanently, for his benefit, for a short time)
(6) Five years later, the discovery of nuclear fission in Berlin had American physicists in an uproar, (in a state of commotion, full of criticism, in a desperate state)
Answer in a state of commotion
(7) Science wasn’t the only thing that appealed to the dashing young man with the walrus moustache, (interested, challenged, worried)
Study the Following Sentences.
Einstein Became a Gifted Amateur Violinist, Maintaining This Skill Throughout His Life.
Letters Survive in Which They Put Their Affection Into Words, Mixing Science With Tenderness.
The Parts in Italics in the Above Sentences Begin With –Ing Verbs, and are Called Participial Phrases. Participial Phrases Say Something More About the Person or Thing Talked About or the Idea Expressed by the Sentence as a Whole. For Example:
Einstein Became a Gifted Amateur Violinist. He Maintained This Skill Throughout His Life.
Complete the Sentences Below by Filling In the Blanks With Suitable Participial Clauses. The Information That Has To Be Used in the Phrases Is Provided as a Sentence in Brackets.
(1) ____, the Fire Fighters Finally Put Out the Fire. (They Worked Round the Clock.)
Answer Working round the clock, the fire fighters finally put out the fire
(2) She Watched the Sunset Above the Mountain, ____ (She Noticed the Colours Blending Softly Into One Another.)
Answer She watched the sunset above the mountain, noticing the colours blending softly into one another.
(3) The Excited Horse Pawed the Ground Rapidly, ____ (While It Neighed Continually.)
Answer The excited horse pawed into the ground rapidly, neighing continually.
(4) ____, I Found Myself in Bangalore, Instead of Benaras. (I Had Taken the Wrong Train.)
Answer Having taken the wrong train, I found myself in Bangalore, instead of Benaras.
(5) ____, I Was Desperate To Get to the Bathroom. (I Had Not Bathed for Two Days)
Answer Having not bathed for two days, I was desperate to get to the bathroom.
(6) The Stone Steps, ____ Needed To Be Replaced. (They Were Worn Down)
Answer The stone steps, being worn down, needed to be replaced.
(7) The Actor Received Hundreds of Letters From His Fans, ___ (They Asked Him To Send Them His Photograph.)
Answer The actor received hundreds of letters from his fans, asking him to send them his photographs.