Onomatopoeia is a figure of speech in which words evoke the actual sound of the thing they refer to or describe.
Onomatopoeia can use real words, made-up words, or just letters used to represent raw sounds .Advertising, branding, and slogans often use onomatopoeia. It makes language so expressive, impactful, and memorable.
|roaster||cock a doodle doo|
- crash symbol
- tap shoes
Examples of Onomatopoeia in sentences
(1) Yesterday, I wake up suddenly by the cock-a-doodle-do of the resident rooster.
(2) Snakes slither among the leaves.
(3) You can hear the peep peep of the chickens as they peck the ground.
(4) The best part about music class is that you can bang on the drum.
(5) Mom always hums when she is cooking.
(6) The horse neighed at the visitors.
(7) Ticktock, ticktock… the sound of the clock was all that could be heard in the hospital waiting room.
(8) My dog barks rarely on family members.
(9) Suddenly, there was a loud thud at the door.
(10) The flood water gushed through the town.
(11) You can hear the peep peep of the chickens as they peck the ground.
v12) The waves crashed against the side of the boat.
(13) Silence your cellphone so that it does not beep during the movie.
(14) My teeth chattered as i stood in the snow.
(15) The audience clapped at the end of the show.
(16) The crowd murmured as the judge announced the verdict.
(17) The pigs oink as they flop in the mud.
(18) The sausages are sizzling in the pan.
(19) The leaves crunched under my feet as I walked through the woods.
(20) The car horn beeped loudly
(21) The owl hooted in the tree.
(22) The mouse made a squeak as it skittered across the floor.
(23) The lion roared as it chased its prey.
(24) There was a loud bang on the door.
(25) The pop corn went pop in the microwave.
(26) A loud crack came from the ice.
(27) The large dog said, “Bow-wow!”
(28) The butterfly fluttered by as I walked through the meadow.
(29) The snake hissed at me as I got closer.
(30) She cried ‘ouch‘ when she fell down the stairs.
(31) The baby lamb made a bleating sound when it was born.
(32) I heard a rattle and so I had to check I had bolted the window once again.
(33) Her heels clacked on the hardwood floor.
(34) The rain pitter-pattered on the roof.
(35) Shh. We need quiet in here while the baby is sleeping.
(36) The actor vroomed his bike across his lover.
(37) The wolf howled at the moon.
(38) The chickens spend most of the day clucking.
(39) If you’re going to cough, please cover your mouth.
(40) The pig squealed when it saw the dog coming.
(41) Beth crinkled up the paper and threw it in the trash.
(42) The car zoomed around the race track at a high speed.
(43) Dad released a belch from the pit of his stomach.
(44) The bees buzzed by flying back to their hives.
(45) The cat meows incessantly as she pets it.
(46) No need to honk the horn under such a traffic block.
(47) Baa baa bleated the sheep.
(48) A twig snapped under my feet.
(49) The bridge collapsed creating a tremendous boom.
(50) The tap needed to be fixed, all I could hear was the drip coming from the bathroom.
(51) The ice cream plopped into the bowl.
(52) The guitar goes twang when you pluck the strings.
(53) She gargled with the mouthwash.
(54) Drink some water to help stop your hiccups.
(55) Yuk! That cheese stinks.
(56) The wounded soldier groaned.
(57) You scared me when you shouted, “boo.”
(58) Nothing annoys me more than rapid clicking of the pictures.
(59) The flag flapped in wind.
(60) Dad burped loudly after dinner.
(61) The bird’s chirp filled the empty night air.
(62) He whipped out his magic wand and cast an amazing spell.
(63) The turkeys gobbled in their pens.
(64) Pig on the farm go oink oink .
(65) Splat, the ink spilled onto the book and ruined the page.
(66) The water sprinkled all over the grass.
(67) We roasted marshmallows over the crackling fire.
(68) Hold your breath and your hiccups will stop.
(69) We heard the tlot–tlot of the horse’s hooves.
(70) Horses whined nervously at the approaching car.
(71) The lonesome yowl of the coyotes echoed through the hills.
(72) My ice cream cone went splat onto the sidewalk.
(73) Our feet squished in the mud.
(74) The water glugged down the drain.
(75) The frightened deer snorted and ran away.
(76) The fly swatter whacked the fly.
(77) The bell clanged to announce the start of the class.
(78) I love to swish of the basketball net.
(79) He fell off the slide and landed on the floor with a thump.
(80) I dropped the medicine into the glass and it fizzled until it dissolved.
(81) I took her shopping but she moaned throughout the day.
(82) The pleasure of waking up to the tweet of the bird is indescribable.
(83) Someone shut that dog up! I’m tired of her yapping at us all day.
(84) The wind whooshed through the trees.
(85) The geese honk as they fly across the sky.
(86) The rocks kerplunk as they fall into the lake.
(87) Ugh, that cough syrup tastes disgusting.
(88) The car race driver revved his engine.
(89) There was a steady chomp-chomp as the horses ate their hay.
(90) Ding, dong, there was someone at the door.
(91) During the tour, he heard the whoop of zebras.
(92) The lion’s roar can be heard across the Zoo.
(93) Everyone heard the tremendous boom that came from upstairs.
(94) I squeezed the sauce bottle but in vain.
(95) The frog ribbited as it jumped into the pond.
(96) I put some butter in the saucepan, which then sputtered.
(97) The clouds thundered and it started raining.
(98) I didn’t see the warning sign and bumped my head on the low doorframe.
(99) I trembled as the door slowly creaked open.
(100) You will never beat me at tennis,” he snorted.