Metaphor English Grammar
A metaphor is a figure of speech that is used to make a comparison between two things that aren’t alike but do have something in common.
Metaphor is a word or phrase for one thing that is used to refer to another thing in order to show or suggest that they are similar.
Unlike a simile, where two things are compared using like or as, a metaphor’s comparison is more indirect, usually made by stating something is something else.
Is, was, were, are are used in metaphors.
Examples of metaphor
(1) He was drowning in paperwork.
(2) Her tears were a river flowing down her cheeks.
(3) You are my sunshine.
(4) He was a busy bee.
(5) Custard is a happiness in a bowl.
(6) Life is a dream.
(7) Sarah is an angel when she sings .
(8) The alarm clock is my siren, warning me of a new day.
(9) Meera is a walking Dictionary.
(10) The alligator’s teeth are white daggers.
(11) The snow is a white blanket.
(12) My baby bother is a cute little teddy bear.
(13) We are all in the same boat.
(14) You had him in the palm of your hand.
(15) He was a lion in the fight.
(16) He’s a bull in a china shop.
(17) The rain came down in long knitting needles.
(18) Education is your passport to satisfying employment.
(19) The truck flew down the empty highway.
(20) My knight in shining armour.
(21) My memory is a little foggy.
(22) Education is a gateway to success.
(23) The teacher rained on everyone’s parade by assigning homework over break.
(24) Rahul is a snail behind the wheel.
(25) Life is a box of chocolate.
(26) He has a heart of stone.
(27) His garden was a jungle of weeds.
(28) The kids at school are all brains.
(29) That girl over there is one beautiful fox.
(30) The Sun was a gleaming pearl.
(31) The dog’s bed is a marshmallow, it looks so comfortable.
(32) Rohit’s suggestion was just a Band-Aid for the problem.
(33) Mohan was a brick wall and wouldn’t listen to a word her mother said.
(34) Cleaning up my brother’s room was a walk in the park.
(35) I brought my father to the gym for the first time, and as expected, he’s like a fish out of water.
(36) I just got hired for a new job, so I’m as happy as a pig in mud.
(37) Laughter is the medicine of the mind.
(38) Hope is on the horizon.
(39) All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree.
(40) Mr. John is a worker bee today.
(41) Success is a sense of achievement
(42) She is a fox.
(43) Our kid’s room is a disaster territory.
(44) His eyes were skewers.
(45) This whole world is a stage.
(46) This is the icing on the cake.
(47) Life is a rollercoaster.
(48) Love is an exploding cigar we willingly smoke.
(49) Ragini’s lovely voice was music to the ears.
(50) This lotion I bought smells like a bouquet of flowers.