An interrogative sentence is a sentence that asks a question. These can be direct or indirect. The punctuation is always a question mark (?).
There are two kinds of interrogative sentences
(a) Yes/No questions : They are those for which the answer is yes/no
(b) Wh questions : They are those that expect a detailed answer. wh” words, include “who,” “what,” “when,” “where,” “why,” “which,” “whose,” and “whom.”
Examples of Interrogative sentences
(1) Are you ready for the party?
(2) Does she lives here?
(3) Who was not present yesterday?
(4) Who wrote this book?
(5) Did you like my new bag?
(6) Whom have you not punished?
(7) What will happen?
(8) Can you lend me your car?
(9) Did the teacher tell English marks?
(10) What is the distance between Earth and Moon?
(11) How many novels did you read in a week?
(12) What is your favourite colour?
(13) Why do you go to the market?
(14) Can you lift this trunk?
(15) What kind of books do you read?
(16) What is the capital of Germany?
(17) Why are you scared of dogs?
(18) Shall I call you tomorrow?
(19) How many numbers we have to write?
(20) How many languages do you know?
It states a fact, habitual action , universal truth, views or opinion. They state, assert, or declare something. They are also called declarative sentences.
They can be either negative or affirmative.
It always end with a full stop or period.
Examples of Assertive sentences
(1) He is playing cricket with his friends.
(2) My mother is a Doctor.
(3) They went for camping on an island.
(4) Yoga is the best exercise to stay fit.
(5) Rohan participate in all the school activities.
(6) They found someone hiding in the bushes.
(7) Jaipur is known as Pink City.
(8) Rita is very good in swimming.
(9) The teacher asked a difficult question from the student.
(10) Early humans invented the fire.
(11) She will not go to school today.
(12) Sita lives with her grandparents since few years.
(13) They found the missing key.
(14) They all are waiting for the bus at the bus stop.
(15) He is a humble and caring person.
(16) My mother gifted me a new dress on my birthday.
(17) There are some girls in the classroom.
(18) The cake is very soft and yummy.
(19) He cannot speak English properly.
(20) The famous book Matilda was written by Roald Dahl.
Rules for conversion of Interrogative sentences to Assertive sentences
(1) If a sentence is negative interrogative , it is changed into affirmative. If it is bare interrogative then it has to be changed into negative( assertive) .
(2) If there is no auxiliary verb in the sentence ,change it by using do/does/did Or don’t /Doesn’t /didn’t.
(3) Ever in interrogative sentences is replaced by never in assertive sentences.
(4) Who+ don’t /Doesn’t /didn’t. in interrogative sentences is replaced by Someone/ somebody/ everybody/ everyone/ no one/nobody/ anybody/ anyone in assertive sentences
(5) though/does it matter is replaced by It doesn’t matter
(6) Anything in interrogative sentences is replaced by nothing in assertive sentences.
- Wasn’t he very kind?
- He was very kind.
- Is he a poor person?
- He is not a poor person.
- Does he play hockey?
- He plays hockey.
- Did they met their friends yesterday?
- They did not met their friends yesterday.
- Was the pudding tasty?
- The pudding was tasty.
- Shall I ever forget those memorable moments?
- I shall never forget those memorable moments.
- Isn’t this a very interesting book?
- This is a very interesting book.
- Was that not an excellent speech?
- That was an excellent speech.
- Haven’t I done my task?
- I have done my task.
- What can be better than a relaxed life?
- Nothing can be better than a relaxed life.
- Is this the kind of dress to wear in the party?
- This is not the kind of dress to wear in the party.
- What is the use of the pan?
- There is no use of the pan.
- Is he not a miser?
- He is a miser.
- Does anyone trust the thief?
- Nobody trust a thief.
- Does Everybody know the name of Bhagat Singh?
- Everybody knows the name of Bhagat Singh.
- Can you not solve this sum?
- I can solve this sum.
- Doesn’t she like vanilla flavour?
- She likes vanilla flavour.
- Who can beat him in the boxing?
- No one can beat him in the boxing.
- Do you ever play baseball?
- You never play baseball.
- What though if you fail in an interview?
- It does not matter if you fail in an interview.