Question 1 In a solution of silver nitrate, a copper plate is dipped. Which metal is more reactive-copper or silver?
Question 2 A solution of copper sulphate was kept in an iron pot. After few days ,the iron pot was found to have number of holes in it. Write the equation of the reaction that took place?
Question 3 what will happen if a strip of zinc is immersed in copper sulphate solution?
Question 4 A copper coin is immersed in a solution of silver nitrate for sometime. What will happen to the coin?
Reaction of metal with salt solution
When a more reactive metal is put in salt solution of a less reactive metal, then more reactive metal displace less reactive metal from its salt solution.
1) CuSO4 (aq) + Zn (s) —-> Cu (s) + ZnSO4 (aq)
Blue colour Reddish colourless
2) Cu (s) + + ZnSO4 (aq) —–> no reaction
Cu cannot displace zinc from its salt solution
3) Ag (s) + CuSO4 (aq) —–> no reaction
4) Fe (s) + CuSO4 (aq) ——> FeSO4 (aq) + Cu (s)
blue green reddish-brown
5) Cu (s) + FeSO4 (aq) —–> no reaction
6) 2 AgNO3 (aq) + Cu(s) —–> Cu(NO3)2 (aq) + 2 Ag (s)
Cu > Ag